Monday, November 11, 2013

Together We Travel The World

On Thursday, October 31, we had a cultural food festival that had triggered excitement in the sixth grade. It was an interesting experience and there were so many different cultures, all in just one classroom. Two of what I think are the best things on Earth (family and food) were part of the food fest which is why I enjoyed it so much and also because it provided us with a spectacular way to learn about different cultures.


I brought in Spring Rolls to share which are part of my culture; the Vietnamese culture. The recipe for the spring rolls have been passed down for so many generations, my family and I lost count of where it started and I have no idea who invented the original family recipe. Over the years, the recipe has developed and changed because it traveled from Vietnam to here in America so we added some different ingredients. Isn't that neat, eating a food from across the globe? In our family, we eat spring rolls usually only for special occasions because it is one of our favorite meals. It has a strong flavor like most other Vietnamese foods.


Our classroom consists of German, Italian, Pennsylvania Dutch, and my own culture. Some foods were spatzle, meatballs and sauce (though Italians called sauce gravy), tea berry cake (which tastes like pepto bismol), shoo-fly pie, pizzelle, and pound cake. It was overwhelmingly exciting, trying all of these strange and peculiar foods. They were all distinct and different.


I was unlucky not to have been able to try all of these exotic foods but lucky enough to try most. I have to say, they tasted really foreign to my tongue, tasting more like it was from another planet, not just a couple thousand miles. How can I be on the same planet as these foods and yet never hearing about them? It demonstrates just how oblivious I am to other cultures that aren't my own. It confirms that I have much to learn about the different customs and cultures of the people around me. Furthermore, it was a very enjoyable event. It is a unique and extraordinary way to really connect and join together to learn more about each other.


If you had the chance to try food from any culture that is not your own, what culture would you choose and why?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Melissa! That was wonderful. Each and every part of it was just great. They way you write in detail with words as exciting and exotic as the food. My favorite part was the last paragraph, when you concluded your learning experience. I just loved how all the descriptive words you used to conclude the piece, it seemed as though words smoothed themselves together to create one wonderful work of art. Bravo, you truly are a marvelous writer! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally, I appreciate the positive feedback.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What an awesome job for your first post - I love the detail you use in your writing to describe the food and your experience. You have an amazing way of explaining and organizing your thoughts. Follow your dreams of writing - you have amazing potential! I can't wait to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blog post! I agree, food and family are two of the best things on Earth. I like your point that recipes have traveled not only across the globe, but from generation to generation. In my family we have some recipes that aren't written down anywhere, we all just kind of "know" them and pass them on to others. I wonder what you might think of two of my favorite Jewish foods, blintzes and mandel bread??
    Great writing! Look forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! once I saw the title I was hooked! It looks like you put a Lot of time and effort which certainly paid off!

    ReplyDelete